First non-technical post - passport lost

This is the first time i am writing a non-technical post in a technical blog only because I don't have any other blog to post this information.

I was traveling USA on a B1 and have lost my passport in a theft. I could not find anywhere what next should I do. Hence, writing for those of you who might get into this problem.

I found some embassy numbers to call but none of it answered / helped me with right information.
Washington embassy - 2029397000
Atlanta Embassy - 404 963-5902
NY Consulate - 8459990726

Overall, I was being told that I would need to go to the embassy which belongs to my region and submit documentation there. The information of your region embassy and documentation are mentioned in this link-
http://www.blsindia-usa.com/passport/lost_passport.php

Mainly, you'd need NRI document to be filled (even though you are not) alongwith your passport photo.
There are two options you can opt for -

1. Emergency travel document - using this document you can fly back immediately. however, getting passport done from India would be major pain as background police checking would be regress. I was being told that checking would be as regress as it is for a deported person. Hence, its not a desirable option.

2. Get your new passport from USA - this option is preferable. Official timings to get your new passport is 3 weeks. If you talk to the consulate officer, he can get this done sooner than 3 weeks. In my case, they shipped it in 7 days.

Getting visa would be another problem, but since you only need to go back to India, you would not require to show your visa. If possible, take a print out of your police report for worst case scenarios.
You would need to provide application to the visa department in India once again to get the visa stamped. I haven't gotten into action for my visa, so can't provide more inputs.

Comments

  1. All your description is really very interesting and nice. It sounds and looks lovely! Thanks for sharing this blog article.

    Kaseya | Infusionsoft

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Status: Local Agent is not responding. This may be due to Master or Local Agent being down.

Understanding code yellow